We’ve put together a list of frequently asked questions to help you get the answers you need. If the information you’re looking for isn’t here, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help.


I want to let my property. Do I need to tell my mortgage lender?
Yes. Your mortgage lender needs to give you permission before you can let your property, and they may impose special conditions. If you are buying a property with the intention of letting it out, you may be able to obtain a buy-to-let mortgage.

How much will it cost me to let my property?
This depends on which service you choose. See what landlord packages we offer for more information.

Why should I use a managing agent?
Choosing a fully managed service allows you to completely relax. It creates a professional distance between you and the tenancy, and means you can avoid having to deal with any rent arrears and deposit disputes.

What happens to my tenant’s deposit?
Landlords and letting agents are required to register tenants’ deposits with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. We use the Deposit Protection Service, which is there to protect the tenant’s money and help resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

Why should I have an inventory?
An inventory is a detailed list of the contents and condition of your property, and is taken before the tenant moves in. It is important in the event of any dispute over damages at the end of the tenancy, as you will have proof of the original condition of the property and its contents. We carry out a full written report and take photographs.

Why do I need an EPC?
An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC for short, is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. All landlords are required to purchase an EPC for a property before they let it. We can arrange this for you.

What are my obligations surrounding gas?
You must have a gas safety record in place to ensure that all gas appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. It must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer, and must be checked every 12 months.

Do I need to get my electrical appliances tested?
You are required to ensure that all electrical devices within the property are safe for use. It is recommended that an Installation Survey or Portable Appliance Test (PAT) is carried out so you can be sure you are compliant. We also recommend that you have an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) carried out, which is a test on the electrical installation within the property.

How do I check my furniture is compliant?
You must ensure that all furnishings comply with furniture and furnishing regulations. All compliant furniture must display standard labels in a prominent position. This is to reduce the risk of fire within the property.

Do I need to pay tax on my rental income?
All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income, whether they live in the UK or are based overseas. Further information is available from HMRC.

Can I enter my property during the tenancy?
You need to give the tenant at least 24 hours’ notice before entering the property, and the tenant’s permission is also required.

Who will pay the council tax – the landlord or the tenant?
The tenant is responsible for payment of the council tax. If the property is standing empty, it is the landlord’s responsibility to pay.

What is a routine inspection visit?
We contact the tenant, giving them notice that we will be visiting the property to check it is being looked after, and to check for any potential maintenance issues.

What if the tenant damages the property?
Either the tenant pays to fix the damage or the cost for fixing the damage is deducted from the tenant’s deposit at the end of the tenancy. However, fair wear and tear should be allowed for.

What is Right to Rent?
The Right to Rent scheme requires landlords or agents to check the ID of all prospective adult occupiers, and was rolled out across England in February 2016. You can find more information on the government website here.

Do I have to find my own contractor to carry out repairs?
No, if we manage your property for you, we can arrange any works. We hold a database of qualified contractors, who will be happy to issue a quote. We always obtain at least two comparable quotes, so you can decide who to instruct. We will arrange for the works to be carried out and inspect the repair before payment is made, if required.

Will you chase the tenant for rent arrears?
If we manage the property for you then yes, we will chase any rent arrears. Our qualified staff will check any arrears and will contact tenants and guarantors. You will be kept up to date and given advice.

How can I get my tenants out if I’m not happy?
As a landlord, you have to serve two months’ notice. This is part of the management service that we provide. We are here to offer advice, so please call us if you find yourself in this situation.

Read our complaints procedure here